Tuesday, June 1, 2010

musings of a tired mind

This morning, the first day of June, I had to scrape the frost off of my car windshield. As I got out the scraper, I thought, this is very odd. And then I thought, no it's not that odd anymore.

I remember when winter would start thawing out around mid February in Calgary. We 'd have our last freeze, the chinook would come and that would kind of be the end of it.

Then as a letter carrier, I saw some people take a couple of weeks of in late Feb and March. I never really understood why (other than for the spring break.) After delivering mail in March, it was clear to me. The weather was so unpredictable with warm then wind then rain then snow - sometimes all on the same day! I promised myself then, that I would take holidays in March.

Now, only a few years later, April is the month with the wacky weather. This year, the last week of April had significant snow and it was windy and very cold. May has been better, but very cold and quite grey. We just had a week of rain. And now the frost on the windshield. It's crazy!

Some would say that it's global warming. I have no idea. I'm not totally convinced of the whole notion. But I do think the seasons are shifting. The last couple of Septembers and Octobers have been downright hot! Maybe our seasons are now more closely aligned with the actual turning of the seasons - June, late September, December and March.

hmmm. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Golly,
    I do wish that it were still cold here!!! Though I love the sun, I also LOVE winter!! By the way, thanks for your comment on my blog. My post tomorrow will be about the decisions that I have made!

    ReplyDelete