Tuesday, June 15, 2010

the funding is in!

I received this letter yesterday...

"Dear ME,

The weight management program in Calgary has received funding for 25 LapBand surgeries to be completed by March 31, 2011. Therefore, we are inviting referred patients to participate in the program this year."

So, let's talk this out...

First of all, I was referred to this program over TWO years ago. I have not heard anything from them. Not even a confirmation that they received my name. In 2 years this is my first contact.

#2 Did you catch that? There is funding for 25 lapbands this year. That is 25 lapbands in all of Calgary! That means that in a city of over one million people they will only pay for 25 lapbands. As I'm sure I mentioned before, before I checked into my Montreal surgeon, I talked with a surgeon here. He said his waiting list was over 850 people. Originally I thought that he was funded for 25 surgeries, but based on the wording of this letter, it is only 25 for the entire region!!! I know you can't hear the rattling, but all I can do is shake my head. (rattling from the noise my head makes when I move it.) That is appauling.

It gets even better...

"It is important that you are aware that there are fewer LapBand surgeries available than there are patients participating in this program. Therefore, surgery cannot be provided to all patients. Consequently, you may complete all that is required of you but it is not guaranteed that you will be selected for surgery."

The bold is part of the quote. They want you to know that even if you do everything you are supposed to, that you most likely will not get surgery. I mean with 25 surgeries, I'm sure they will have over 100 people participating. In my head I can hear them saying, "she doesn't have the co-morbidities that they others do. She can still get around. Look at her, she can even walk for a living. I think that others who can really benefit from this surgery should have priority over her." Would they say that directly to me? I have no idea. Would they say that amongst themselves when they have to pick from those who jumped through all the hoops? Absolutely. There is a small part of me that hopes they would pick someone like me because of the potential benefits. Prevention of diabetes, high blood pressure, joint issues, apnea, and all of the other co-morbidities associated with obesity would be an amazing thing. Hello!! Let's talk about saving not only lives, but quality of life!!

Oh well. I don't really have to worry about it. It just gets my knickers in a knot. I am thinking of calling them to just ask some questions. Then I think it won't get me very far, especially since the people I would be talking with would have little control over what happens.

Oh. I also want to touch on the lapband part of it. One of the stated requirements is a "definite interest in having LapBand surgery." If it was my *only* option, then of course I would choose it, but given a choice it would be one of my last choices. Let me just preface my comments by saying that this type of surgery is personal. Each person has to know themselves and what would work best for them. The statistics on lapband aren't that great. the weight lost is lower and the after care is much more rigorous. There is a greater risk for infection at the port site. It requires a lot more motivation. In addition, A study I heard said that in rats, the malabsorptive part of the surgery made a bigger difference in weight loss that just the size of the pouch. Rats with just malabsorption lost just as much weight as rats who had both malabsorption and a reduce stomach. Lapband is sold as a less invasive option, but in my "never to be" humble opinion, it isjust as risky.

Ok. I'll come off my soapbox now.

No comments:

Post a Comment